Monday, May 9, 2011

Consumption

This whole food journal thing isn't the first time I keep track of what I ate over a period of time...
Back in 2007, I participated in a basic drawing class homework exercise that I initially thought was bullshit.  It was early in the semester and I was still feeling out the teacher a little bit in terms of his methods, discussion tactics, and leniency in terms of interpretation/attendance.  I remember the class was a Monday/Wednesday-nights-from-6-9pm class.  He gave us the basic task of tracking everything that we ate or drank (as I took to mean consume in general) from the end of class one Wednesday night til the following Monday's class.  Five days.  I was pretty pissy about the assignment and used my frustration to spur a strange abstraction of what I really consumed that week.  The drawings are geometric deconstructions of everything that passed my lips during that 5 days.  Upon returning to class, I found I was one of the half in the class that actually accomplished the assignment and one of the very few who took it very seriously.  Like I said, my frustration with being assigned such a juvenile task drove me to invent a way to make it more interesting to me.  I feel it turned into playful depiction of a third-year art school student's diet.  Knowing what foods I consumed then makes me cringe now a little but really that's part of the college experience.  I mean, I'm pretty sure one of these drawings represents a strawberry strudel pastry and blazing buffalo Doritos!  At any rate, I rarely get to share the book that this project spawned one of my few prized artist books.
So here it is: Consumption

No comments:

Post a Comment