Wednesday, January 8, 2014

New growth

I noticed today when I was watering my plants that I've got some new growth in an unexpected place....

Last summer, after my move from that rank garden apartment where I lived with my old, dear coworker Elizabeth, I lost 3 of my 5 potted alocasia plants.  I'm not sure why but they just rotted off their roots.  So I re-purposed one of the pots, dirt included, by re-potting one of my mom's plants that needed a pot upgrade.  Last week I sort of pruned the plant for the first time in a while and today I found a little baby alocasia sprouting out:


Also, in one of the surviving alocasia pots, I've been watching 2 other baby plants peek through:
The one on the right is barely there, but I'll keep watering and watching and it'll come back.  I got the original plant from Home Depot in college when I lived at the Western Ave apartment.  It came in a tiny porcelain dish, really, that had rocks over the roots.  I re-potted it and it took off.  Since then I've had at least one and up to five of the same kind of alocasia plant.  When I had my catastrophic plant loss last year I got a few plants of plants from my mom; the one above, a hanging succulent that was just trimmings from hers, and a weird little thing called a dieffenbachia.  I'm still trying to nurse the last one back to health as it was a little on the rough side when I re-potted it last fall.  I gave it a homemade banana peel and egg shell mulch and it's looking better.  I find it incredible that now, in the dead of winter, my house plants are thriving despite the gray skies and subzero temps outside.  I look forward to springtime when I can grow some more lovely plants on my deck.

I recently was looking back at old blog posts and my very first post had pics of my original alocasia plant's leaves close up: http://iamaseaman.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-very-first-blogyay-or-something.html

And this post has a picture from when the plant split in 2 the first time:
http://iamaseaman.blogspot.com/2009/08/studio.html

 

No comments:

Post a Comment