Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tommy toes

I had this post all typed and ready to publish last night and then the page (or browser) decided to be dickish and malfunction and lose everything I typed...lame.

So anyways, what I was posting about was that I have been getting really excited to get my indoor garden going.  The other night after work, I picked up some starter soil and seeds for short & sweet carrots and super sweet cherry tomatoes.  The other day, in my research, I read up on growing carrots.  I gathered information from a handful of websites, none of real significance since they all said basically the same things. So...

Carrots

What I do:
sew seeds directly, 1/2" deep (transplants don't grow properly)
thin the seedlings when they reach 2" tall (cut out, don't pull out) to 1" apart
keep soil moist but not soggy, lots of sunlight
harvest at 68-70 days

What I got: (aside from lovin')
seeds
starter soil

What I need:
bucket with drainage holes
moisture control soil
lights

So, unfortunately, I'm not quite equipped to get the carrots started...yet.

My tomatoes, on the other hand, will take about a week to start sprouting and then can wait a little longer before transplanting into buckets.  So I decided to plant a set of seeds yesterday.  I used shallow sour cream containers with 4 drainage holes poked in the bottom of each.  I put 2 segments of paper egg carton in each container and planted 2 seeds in each segment using my starter soil.  I didn't want to pour water directly into the containers so I've been periodically heavily misting the soil to keep it damp.  I also got a dome-lidded lasagna pan from the dollar store yesterday to keep them moist in.  I even decided to label them with toothpick, masking tape, and sharpie.

Tomatoes, Day 1:

No comments:

Post a Comment