Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Blue Sky's smiling at me!

I just finished some template changes here on ma blog...thanks blogger for making it easier than I remember to make it work!  I was realizing the other night as I read back over past posts how difficult it  was to read my blog with my drawing in the background.  I was not willing to lose it as my blog wallpaper but now it should be much easier on the eyes.

Anywhooo, I suppose I should get back to the updating since I've been off the blogger grid for so long...k, so I hate to say I'm one of those moms, but I'm definitely one of those moms who just can't stop talking about her kid.  She's the best, for serious...but before talking about how awesome she is, I'll give y'all a recap of her life in utero...
First Pic Inside
My pregnancy with her was probably the kind of pregnancy that every mom dreams of:  The most morning sickness I ever had was just a little nausea; although I had a tendency to gag on my toothbrush and dry-heave a bit first thing in the morn.  I only gained about 28 lbs total and lost it post-delivery within 4 weeks.  Every prenatal checkup measured normal and healthy for her and for me.
I didn't really have much for maternity clothing since I pretty much just gained baby weight; I wore a lot of long tops with leggings, and jeans 3 sizes bigger than my usual size for work at JJs (even did delivery driving up till about 7 1/2 months!).  If I'd had a full-time job at the time, I would have worked full-time all the way through.  However, I did work my 2 part-timers up until the day I went into labor...and she was born 8 days late!  I only encountered swollen feet once or twice after some pretty long work days.  My biggest complaint from my whole pregnancy was the nightly heartburn...I propped my pillows waaaay up, had a body pillow behind me and a throw pillow between my knees every single night at yet still most nights I had to take more Tums when I'd get up to pee.
My favorite part of my pregnancy was feeling her move.  The first time was pretty magical...it felt like popcorn popping in my belly when I leaned forward one night at around 18 weeks.  From then on she was almost constantly on the move.  So much so that when I started showing more, people could see her movements even through my shirt from across the room.
Her official due date was March 30, 2012 but I like to say she decided to get a little payback for Grandma Nancy for the hell I put her through.  I was nearly 18 days late, so it's only natural that she should be late too, right?  I didn't have even one contraction (not even braxton hicks!) through my entire pregnancy.  I started having labor contractions at work at 41 weeks; she finally decided to make her debut (on her own!).  My whole labor and delivery story is better suited for another post, another night, so I'll just leave it at, I did it au naturale (with minimal iv pain meds).  After nearly 19 hours of labor, Skylar Helen was born at 5:23 on Saturday morning April 7th, the day before Easter.  I was told amid all the pushing that she was a red-head...sure enough I've got the most beautiful little ginger girl ever.  She tipped the scales at 9 lbs 2 oz, and measured 20 inches long.  She wasn't as big as either myself or her dad (who was there with me the whole time; not super helpful in terms of pain management though definitely a necessary support at the time).

First Pic Outside
We picked Skylar for her first name after realizing the only names that we liked and could agree on were Skylar and Devon.  DJ decided last minute at the hospital that he didn't like Devon anymore so our alternate became Fiona but when we met her we knew she was Skylar.  I decided a long time ago that my first daughter's middle name would be Helen after my dad's mother Helen Louise.  I found out at my baby shower actually that DJ's maternal grandmother was also named Helen.  So it fits perfectly.
We took her home to our new apartment the following Monday; we had moved March 1st (that's right folks, I was 8 months prego) from Justin's house, where I'd been living when I was last posting.  I had already decided to breast feed her, which was incredibly difficult at first.  Despite all our issues, I loved our special nursing bond and I wish we could have shared it longer.  I'm sure I'll end up posting all about our nursing woes at some point.
Skylar has been the sweetest, most amazing baby; I couldn't have dreamed of having a better child.  I took her in for her 10 month checkup last week.  The doctor asked me how she sleeps at night; when I told her 'all through the night, every night since she was 6 weeks old' she told me not to tell other moms that!  I just laughed...she's just that awesome.  Currently she's tipping those scales again at a crazy 24 lbs 5 oz...98th percentile.  She's also in the 95th percentile for height at just under 30 inches.  Her daily accomplishments never cease to amaze me and I still can't believe how adorable she is.  I'll get more into her development in later posts since I'm losing steam and it's nearly bedtime for me.  So for now I'll leave you with this, my newest favorite pic of my "lil punkinhead" taken last week...



No comments:

Post a Comment