Tuesday, December 21, 2010

More Gifting...

So I'm starting to notice a trend here...I go through phases of blogging between projects with deadlines.   When I have something that needs to be done by a certain time, I devote as much of my spare time to it as possible.  And while I could have easily posted a quickie before bed (heh), I've been watching a lot of Christmasy things these last few days.
I LOVE Christmas movies and tv shows.  Actually, just a minute ago I was looking for something to watch and a movie called Nothing Like the Holidays is on one of the Encore channels...It seems way more inviting than the show I'm watching on NatGeo, Seconds from Disaster, though it's good as well.  The movie doesn't start for a few minutes still.
Strange thing is that Z is still sleeping.  I thought for sure he'd be up by now, but I don't mind.  I guess he didn't sleep well last night...I personally think that Aaron and Terri should start letting him put himself back to sleep.  He's over 8 months old now; gotta break bad habits like that or he'll forever think it's ok to wake up frequently at night.

So anyways, the projects I've been working on are obviously my Christmas gifts.  I finished the painting of Baby Ella and have moved on to the painting of Blue and Peewee.  I've also made the hats for Z and Ella and plan on today finishing up the appendages and choosing eyes for them.  Saturday night I worked at Empty Bowls at the Wash Pav.  I ended up paying the 10 bucks to take a bowl made by the Action Arts kids.  I decided I wanted to give the bowl to Matt (as in my friend, not my brother-in-law).  So the next day when I was working at Michaels, I got a couple of super soft dark purple skeins of yarn (Loops and Threads, Charisma for like $1.50 each!!!) to make Angela a nice hat and scarf set.  I think I'll be able to get everything finished in time for when we actually celebrate Christmas, which this year is going to be the 26th.  Sunday night we'll have our big breakfast dinner and exchange gifts at Jon and Marcy's house.  So I have until then.  If I can, I also want to knit my dad a hat but that's less likely to be finished on time because knitting takes so much longer than crocheting.  I figure since he just reminded me of it the other day that it'll be alright if I work on it while I'm there.  It'll be strange to have Christmas somewhere other than Mom and Dad's.  Strange but good since Jon and Marcy's place is huge.

That reminds me that last night before I fell asleep I was thinking about my family in linear terms.  I had this idea last Christmastime for a kid's storybook about my family, sort of a Seaman Saga.  Starting with my dad, each page would be about one person.  I still don't know how exactly I want to make the book.  I had thought of canvas pages with fiber use and painting but that's just a start.  I did decide the order in which I'd like to put the pages though.  In numerical and chronological order, my family line is as follows:
1 Ron Seaman
2 Nancy Wingert Seaman
3 Aaron Seaman
4 Jessica Seaman Christiansen
5 Ashley Seaman
6 Jonathan Seaman
7 Terri Kessler Seaman
8 Chloe Seaman
9 Matt Christiansen
10 Ella Christiansen
11 Zidane Seaman
12 Marcy Wagner Seaman
The book will probably have birth dates and places for everyone, anniversaries for the married, and some sort of differentiation between generations.  I like this order because then I can continue adding to the book as the family grows.  I guess what made me even remember this scrap of an idea was that when I was over at Mom and Dad's on Saturday morning for coffee I read dad's latest Christmas newsletter the "Seaman Saga 2010".  In it he talked about how the family has grown for 9 members to 12 all in the last year.  It's pretty crazy since our additions have been infrequent in the past...like Terri June 2004, Chloe February 2007, and Matt October 2008.  So this book is going to be a sometime-down-the-line project that I'm going to just stew on for awhile.  In the meantime, I'm going to get back to working on my gifts.  Z will probably wake up soon anyways and I've been blogging for a long time since I keep getting distracted by this movie...it's really good and it's set in the only other place besides home that's close to my heart...Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment