Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I miss art school.

I found this movie on TMC this morning that has made me severely miss being an integral part of a fine art community.  Don't get me wrong, I love the art that I am involved with now.  But I really want to be a part of something bigger and different.  I don't think I'm ever going to get the art community I'm looking for here in SoDak.  Too many people here only want to see art by commercial artists like Terry Redlin, John Crane, John Green, Mark Anderson, and Thomas Kincade.  Yawn.  Not that commercial art is bad.  I quite honestly might sell out a little in order to fund the art I'm really passionate about.  It's just that in this part of the country, most folks want to see pictures of wildlife and nature and the same old boring crap they see when they go outside.  I'd rather enjoy nature firsthand than second- or third-hand in a painting of nature or a print of a painting of nature.  That's just my preference.  But living here and working at a frame shop, most of the art I see is of nature.  I want to go to a gallery and see an artwork that doesn't make sense at first or that elicits some sort of response, be it physical, emotional, psychological.  I'm just bored I guess.  I think I need to visit more actual galleries.  I need some sort of artistic dialogue.  I need my artist friends to want to have an in depth art based conversation.  I just need more.  And what I really want is for my work to be in a gallery, even a commercial one.

The movie that prompted these strong feelings: (Untitled).

"Everyone has an opinion.  The artist must find meaning in the process."

Maybe my process of getting into a gallery includes working as a commercial framer, a children's art teacher and a crochet instructor.  I never thought I'd say this but I really enjoy sharing knowledge with anyone interested enough to listen.  When I was younger I told myself I never wanted to be a teacher.  Though it's not ultimately what I want for my life, I do like it.

Back to the movie: totally bizaaro ending, just exactly as it should be.   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment